How To Make Lotion & Salve
How To Make Lotion & Salve using local ingredients! Avoid the tropical oils and butters and still create a lovely lard (or tallow) based salve or lotion.
(If you cannot find a local source of beeswax, you can purchase it easily online.)
*NOTE I demonstrate the cold infusion method using olive oil, which is obviously not local to me, but you can also do a cold infusion with lard if you keep it in a warm area. It is just a little confusing to call it cold infusion and then turn around and say you have to keep it warm. 🙂
- ¾ c. fat or oil
- dried herbs of your choice
- ¼ c. beeswax
- Infuse oil or fat with herbs using the hot or cold method shown in the video.
- This will take 4-8 weeks if you choose the cold infusion and 45 min if you choose the hot infusion.
- Mix beeswax and hot infused fat or oil until beeswax is melted.
- Cool to room temperature.
- At this point you have a salve.
- If you want to create lotion, whip the salve with ¾ cup water or herbal tea until a lotion texture is created.